Thursday, December 24, 2009

Sugar Cookies and Granddaughters


I made sugar cookies with my Granddaughters, Olivia (5), and Quinn (3 1/2) on Tuesday. It was quite the event. I think I'll be vacuuming up sprinkles for months to come, but that's okay, we had a great time. I'm not too much of a baker, it's just not my thing. I do love these particular cookies though, and my family has come to expect them at holidays and birthdays.
While waiting for a batch to bake, here is Quinn checking out Grandma's ornaments. This one is a favorite with the girls. The angel's harp plays music when touched. I love it, too.

Look at these faces. They are my darling girls, and such good helpers, too. I think Quinn was feeling a little sad in the next picture. It was taken shortly after the sprinkles hit the floor. They were stacking the bottles, and I told them not to. Of course, they toppled over. How could I get mad at them? Impossible! Especially after Quinn says "I'm sorry Grandma" in her sweet little voice.
Most of the cookies ended up with unusual colored sprinkles for Christmas treats. The girls were far more interested in decorating with pink and purple than the traditional red and green
colors. You have to love little girls!
Here is my recipe:
Best Sugar Cookies
1 c. butter, softened
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
3/4 c. sugar
1 teas. vanilla
1 egg
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teas. salt
Beat butter, cr. cheese, sugar, vanilla, and egg in a lg. bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Stir in flour (I sift mine first) and salt until blended.
Cover and refrigerate dough at least 2 hrs., but no more than 24 hrs. Heat oven to 375. Roll one fourth of the dough at a time 1/8 of an inch thick on a lightly floured surface, keeping remaining dough refrigerated..
Cut with assorted cookie cutters and place about 1-in. apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 7 to 10 minutes. Cool completely on a rack and decorate at desired. Makes 6 dozen.
Have a merry and blessed Christmas!

21 comments:

Stephanie M. said...

Looks like a lot of fun!! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

woolwoman said...

Your little granddaughters are so beautiful and I'm sure the light of your life. thanks for sharing the photos and the recipe - I might just have to give it a try - my husband thinks women have lost interest in baking altogether - he's right in my regard - I would rather be stitching - merry christmas! Melody

Deb said...

What beautiful grandchildren Tanya. The last picture is so adorable with her hair surrounding her head like a halo. It looks like you had loads of fun and what's a little sprinkles on the floor, right.? DD (whose 12) still does stuff like that. It's those things that make it fun and that you'll always remember.

PS. Those cookies sound good. Cream in any cookies is a winner in my book.

Have a wonderful Christmas.

Catherine said...

What beautiful little girls and who could be mad at that little face! Being the mother of three boys, I try and use pink and purple sprinkles too, but they give me a hard time!

Melissa said...

Oh, they are such sweet faces! You must be so enjoying having them there! Merry Christmas to you and your family, Tanya!

ps in the photo of the Christmas tree, I was ogling the samplers on the wall! go figure!

Margaret said...

Your granddaughters are just adorable! Sounds like you all had a great time together -- such special times are precious, aren't they? Thanks for the recipe. My hubbie has his own recipe but you never know, he might be willing to try something new sometime. :D Have a great Christmas!

Theresa said...

That looks like fun~~~~~~~
Your granddaughters are so adorable!!!!
Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!

Laurie in Iowa said...

What a wonderful way to spend your Thursday. Your granddaughters are adorable.

Unknown said...

Tanya, what a sweet picture of you with your granddaughters. They are just precious!

It sounds you all had such a fun time. The time I spent with my grandmother are memories that I cherish dearly.

Thanks for sharing your sugar cookie recipe - I look forward to trying it soon.

I pray you and your family have a wonderful Christmas.

Linda said...

What sweet little girls and what fun you all had, the cookies look yummy too. Merry Christmas to you and yours...hugs, Linda

Andrea said...

What sweet girls! Love those cookies and the cookie faces that helped make them :-)
Merry Christmas Tanya!
xoxo

Sandra said...

Happy Christmas Tanya.

Sandra xx

Sherry said...

Your granddaughters are absolutely adorable! Looks and sounds like you had a wonderful time with them and what a great tradtition for you to share with them.

Brigitte said...

Is there anything better than sweet little girls helping with decorating Christmas cookies? I'm not a baker either, have never loved it with one exception: making Christmas cookies with my kids when they were still little.

Siobhán said...

Your grand daughtes are just the cutest, Tanya! It looks like a wonderful time was had by all--stuff memories are made of. :)

Unknown said...

Your granddaughters are beautiful! It looks like you all had a lot of fun!

jill said...

I love your blog and have not commented b4 - your samplers are to die for .... I am an avid sampler stitcher and your house looks like I could move right in!!! I had to comment after seeing the pix of your kitchen and your butcher block - our s just like ti and I I love it in the center of the kitchen for baking etc ...... keep up your wonderful prolific stitching for all of us to enjoy!!! Thanks much - Jill

Tanya said...

You have beautiful grandbabies! Who could get mad at those sweet faces? I am going to try your recipe though I just bought a crown cookie mold and I need to try it out.

Michelle said...

Oh what fun! And aren't they the cutest girls!!

MyLifesAStitch said...

Your granddaughters are lovely!! That sad face is just too sweet. Impossible to get mad for sure, lol!! Love the A&E finish, and your new start looks like it is going to be a blast to stitch! Love the colors! I hope 2010 brings you even more joy and loveliness than 2009!!

Stitcher S said...

I too so love making cookies each year with loved ones!


Your grandbabies are so darling, indeed. I just joined the grandma club this past fall, so in a few years our little guy can help me with the frosting. It's so much fun being a grandma, isn't it?